Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Basic Tai Dam Phrases

Tai Dam is a Southwestern Tai language mainly spoken in Northern Vietnam. There are about 763,950 speakers of Tai Dam. (source) The word Tai Dam literally means "black Tai."


Since it is easier to see the cognates in Thai, the following phrases written in Thai script are a transliteration of the Tai Dam script. Thus, the phonetic transcription is not written in Thai.

(Tones omitted at the moment. I will update these as soon as I can.)

Structure
# Thai transliteration of Tai Dam
pronunciation in semi-IPA*
English translation
Thai translation (slightly archaized in order to show cognates)

*In this "Semi-IPA", I am using < y > to transcribe the /j/ sound.

1 ฅั้นดอควา
khan dɔ kwa
Hello/How are you?
อยู่ดีหรือ

2 ฅั้นซินดอ
khan sin dɔ
Hello
อยู่ดี

3 เจ้าก็ฅั้นดอควา
tsaw kɔ khan dɔ kwa
How are you?
เจ้าก็อยู่ดีหรือ

4 ข้อยก็ฅั้นซินดอ
khɔi kɔ khan sin dɔ
I am fine
ข้าก็อยู่ดี

สอวาน
sɔ waan
Please...
ขอวาน

5 ข้อยแอแอบปากความไท.
khɔi ʔɛ ʔɛp paaʔ kwaam tai
I want to learn to speak Tai (Dam).
ข้าอยากเรียนปากคำไท(ดำ)

สอวานเจ้าบอกให้ข้อยได้บ่.
sɔ waan tsaw bɔʔ haɯ khɔi dai baw
Can you please teach me?
ขอวานเจ้าบอก(สอน)ให้ข้าได้บ่

6 ได้ ข้อยจิ่บอกเน้อ
dai khɔi tsi bɔʔ nə
Yes, I will teach you.
ได้ ข้าจักบอก(สอน)เน้อ

7 บ่ได้. ข้อยบ่มีเชอบอก.
baw dai. khɔi baw mi tsə bɔʔ
No, I do not have time to teach.
บ่ได้ ข้าบ่มียาม(เวลา)บอก(สอน)

8 ได้ย้อนเน้อ
dai yɔn nə
Thank you
ขอบใจเน้อ

1 comment:

Phetsalath said...

So which came first Jao or Tsao for you? And the wela or time came from Sanskrit right?