Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thai and Lao Lesson: Basic Sentence Structure

Thai and Lao verbs do not inflect. There are no articles (a/an or the).

Typical Word Order
(Subject) (Adverb-auxiliary) Verb (Object) (Secondary Verb) (Particle)
or in short:
(S) (AA) V (O) (SV) (P)

note = "( )" = optional

Thai

ผม = I/me (male speaker)
พูด = V to speak

ผมพูด
I speak

ภาษาไทย = Thai language

ผมพูดภาษาไทย
I speak Thai

ได้ = AA get to, got to, did
       = SV to be able to, can

ผมพูดภาษาไทยได้
I can speak Thai

ผมได้พูดภาษาไทย
I got to speak Thai, or I did speak Thai

จะ = AA will

ผมจะพูดภาษาไทย
I will speak Thai

เคย = AA used to

ผมเคยพูดภาษาไทย
I used to speak Thai

แล้ว = SV already

ผมพูดภาษาไทยแล้ว
I already spoke Thai

กำลัง = AA to be in the process of, -ing

ผมกำลังพูดภาษาไทย
I'm speaking Thai

อยู่ = SV still

ผมพูดภาษาไทยอยู่
I'm (still) speaking Thai (right now)

ครับ = P for male sir, madam; at your service. Particle used to make sentence polite.

ผมพูดภาษาไทยครับ
I speak Thai, sir


Lao
ຂ້ານ້ອຍ = I/me
ເວົ້າ = to speak

ຂ້ານ້ອຍເວົ້າ
I speak

ພາສາລາວ = Lao language

ຂ້ານ້ອຍເວົ້າພາສາລາວ
I speak Lao

ໄດ້ = AA get to, got to, did
     = SV to be able to, can

ຂ້ານ້ອຍເວົ້າພາສາລາວໄດ້
I can speak Lao

ຂ້ານ້ອຍໄດ້ເວົ້າພາສາລາວ
I got to speak Lao, or I did speak Lao

ຈະ = AA will

ຂ້ານ້ອຍຈະເວົ້າພາສາລາວ
I will speak Lao

ເຄີຍ = AA used to

ຂ້ານ້ອຍເຄີຍເວົ້າພາສາລາວ
I used to speak Lao

ແລ້ວ = SV already

ຂ້ານ້ອຍເວົ້າພາສາລາວແລ້ວ
I already spoke already

ກຳລັງ = AA to be in the process of, -ing

ຂ້ານ້ອຍກຳລັງເວົ້າພາສາລາວ
I'm speaking Lao

ຢູ່ = SV still

ຂ້ານ້ອຍເວົ້າພາສາລາວຢູ່
I'm (still) speaking Lao(right now)

ຂະນ້ອຍ= P sir, madam; at your service. Particle used to make sentence polite.
ຂ້ານ້ອຍເວົ້າພາສາລາວຂະນ້ອຍ
I speak Lao, sir

Other useful secondary verbs


เป็น = to know how to do something


ผมพูดภาษาไทยเป็น
I know how to speak Thai


เก่ง = to be skillful at doing something


ผมพูดภาษาไทยเก่ง
I'm good at speaking Thai
(references:www.sealang.net)

No comments: